Well, 2019 is out like a fat kid playing dodgeball and today starts the beginning of a new year… AND decade. That’s right, I’m Barbara Walters and this…is 2020.
2020! It’s crazy to think about. If you would have asked me 10 years ago what 2020 would be like…I probably would have been too busy crying at my desk at the Ottumwa Courier to give you a good, solid prediction. But, I can guarantee you I never would have guessed the events that were ahead of me. Marriage. (Two) Celine Dion Concerts. Puppies. Babies. Baby Shark. An upstairs AND a downstairs breast pump.
A lot has changed in 10 years, and I’m not just talking about my eyebrows. I mean, we might as well have put those things on a milk carton, because they were missing for like half a decade. Yikes. But seriously, a lot has changed, including the products I choose to use every day. In 2019, I decided I wanted to grow the heck up and go on the search for those “staple” products (both beauty & otherwise) that I could rely on to just work when I needed them to. Like most people, when I’m going to spend money on something, I want it to do its job, so through reading reviews, snooping through my mom’s stuff and sampling it without asking (the woman has great taste) and spending too much time in Sephora, I found a few that I love and actually work. So, from lip balm to canned wine to the best damn moisturizer I’ve ever put on my face, here’s my list of favorite “stuff” that I discovered at the end of this wild decade.
- Treat Beauty Lip Balm. I don’t want to sound like a Kardashian, but I am obsessed with this stuff. I got my first tube from a friend (hey thanks, Megan!) for Christmas a couple of years ago and have been hooked ever since. The tubes are big and fat which means they last forever and are harder to misplace. Noice! The product itself smells amazing and works like a dream. Recently, I bought lip balm in Candy Apple, which has the perfect amount of color. No brag, but I get compliments on it all the time, mostly from my favorite Target cashier who sometimes tells me about her messy divorce. Getcha some.
- Maison Margiela REPLICA Whispers In The Library Perfume. I had gotten a sample of this after one of the 100 trips to Sephora I take in a year and loved it. The smell is really subtle but fancy at the same time. The fragrance description says “paper and waxed wood”, but since I’m not a person that spends a lot of time around paper or waxed wood, I can’t really be a good judge. I just know it smells good and can be used by a guy or a gal!
- KIEHL’S Ultra Face Cleanser. I’m probably the pickiest person ever when it comes to face wash, and I have tried them all. From Noxzema (hot damn, I’d love to take a whiff of that stuff right now) to St. Ives Apricot Scrub (what up 7th grade!) to Proactiv (yes, I ordered it from the tv). While they were all great, none of them were as good as this stuff. It’s thick and foamy, which takes all of your makeup off faster than your bra after a day of work AND doesn’t dry out your skin. My face has definitely been a lot clearer since I started using this – making even my RBF look nice.
- Philosophy Uplifting Miracle Worker Eye. Alright, now that I’m a mom of two, I’m a real two-bagger. Wait, no, that’s not right. What I mean is, I have bags and the real kicker is, those things aren’t even designer. Howevs, after putting a little bit of this magic stuff under the ol’ peepers, things have improved. It cools. It lifts. It makes me feel like less of the old witch from Snow White.
- Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops. I’m not sure why the name is so long. Seems like overkill to me, but I’m sure there’s a reason. Anywhosers, put a couple of drops of this stuff in your moisturizer and damn, girl. It adds the perfect amount of sun-kissed bronze and will adjust to any skin tone. I LOVE this stuff and it’s perfect for this time of year when the sun gotten out of Dodge. It’s a little pricey, but I’ve had my tube for over a year, so a little bit really does go a long way.
- IT Cosmetics Secret Sauce Anti-Aging Moisturizer. Excuse my language, but this shit is the real deal. It’s thick and creamy and will not make your face greasy. There’s some science in there that helps with wrinkles and sun damage and it makes your skin feel soft as a baby’s butt. I have two babies, and can confirm this is accurate. Again, it’s on the pricier end, but this jar will last several months and I would almost guarantee you see a difference in your complexion after a week or two of using it.
- Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stik. Okay, we’re done with skincare, so please do not attempt to put this on your face, as I don’t see that ending well. This THING, you guys! It is magic. Available on Amazon for $10, it will get your jewelry sparkling like it just left the pawn shop you bought it from. Just kidding. But seriously. I love it and I make all the ladies in my life try it. It works on rings, earrings, bracelets, teeth. Anything you want to sparkle. It’s worth the trip to Amazon.com, if you ask me. Which you’re not. But it’s fine.
- Pura Smart Device. If you want your house to smell amazing and also feel cool by controlling the scent with your phone, then you need this thing. I will be honest, I spent way too much on mine by buying the NEST version, but I’m happy to let others benefit from my mistakes. I really like this because you can shut it off when you’re not home, or create a schedule so it turns on and off automatically, so you don’t waste any of the precious scent. I’ve got Volcano Capri Blue in mine right now, which makes me feel like I’m in Anthropologie (minus all of the beautiful, expensive stuff).
- BABE Canned Wine. The canned wine scene exploded while I was on the DL. By DL, I mean while I was pregnant, but same diff. I was a huge fan of canned wine before I found out I was pregnant with Cash, so imagine my utter delight when I found myself presented with several options while casually browsing the aisles of my favorite place, HyVee Wine & Spirits. I took a chance on BABE Grigio with Bubbles and was hooked. It’s not too sweet, a little bubbly and a lot delish. Plus it comes in skinny can that makes me feel like a lady. Just kidding.
So there you have it. A few of my favorite things! So now, I want you to share yours! I love hearing about what works for people and then promptly stealing it for myself and acting like I was the first to discover it. Just kidding!
Cheers to 2020. I hope this year is good to you.